So, the Fortnite Compact SMG nerf is here and we’re so happy.
It looks like Epic Games is listening to the community as they worked quickly to nerf the Compact SMG. How it managed to make it into the game in the first place is beyond us, but those 48 hours it was in were pretty scary.
However, in the early hours of the morning, Epic took to the Fortnite BR subreddit and revealed all of the changes they were making to the Compact SMG.
Changes to Fortnite SMGs
- SMG and Compact SMG accuracy bonus reduced from 35% to 15%.
- SMG damage reduced from 19/20/21 to 17/18/19.
- Compact SMG damage reduced from 23/24 to 21/22.
- SMG fire rate reduced from 13 to 12.
- Compact SMG fire rate reduced from 11 to 10.
- SMG, Compact SMG, and Silenced SMG damage falloff.
- Range reduced from 2400/3500/5000 to 2000/3000/4000.
- Percentage reduced from 100/80/65% to 100/70/40%.
- Rare SMG and Compact SMGs drop rates slightly reduced.
The fact that Epic was forced to make a big nine changes to the gun, shows just how broken it was in the first place. Interestingly though, they have also made big changes to SMGs in general with the accuracy bonus for both unsilenced weapons getting a significant drop-off.
As you can imagine, the Fortnite community had a lot of thoughts on the changes to the Compact SMG.
Very Interesting Thoughts
— Chaos (@Chaosxsilencer) July 25, 2018
“Fortnites gonna die” “fortnites pulling an h1” “br curse hits fortnite”
Smg nerf is coming. Epic listens to the community pretty well if you ask me
LETS GOOOO BABYYY
— tina (@TINARAES) July 25, 2018
SMG nerf = happy fortnite player
— sieara 💕 (@sparkziess) July 25, 2018
Are the nerfs good?
More importantly, have they made the game more balanced?
Well, yes. They have stopped you from getting lasered from crazy ranges. In fact, if you are about 30 metres away from a building, it will take around 40 bullets to destroy it at full health. Up close though, the thing is still shredding through people as if they weren’t there.
I would always make room for one but you will need to run either an assault rifle or silenced SMG for more long range battles.